Treating Tendonitis in the Upper Extremity
Part Two of a 2-course series. For Part One, see: Treating without Pain: Hand Therapy Treatment Concepts.
Includes Taping, IASTM, Joint Alignment, Cupping and more
7.5 contact hour hybrid CE course.
Complete these learning activities before participating in a live 2-hour Virtual Zoom Classroom:
- 5 1/2 hours of recorded lectures and demonstrations of treatment techniques
- case study assignments
Choose a date for your Virtual Zoom Classroom to problem solve cases, scenarios, and navigate treating your tendonitis patients without pain.
Treating without Pain: Hand Therapy Treatment Concepts is a prerequisite for this course. If you have taken our live course in the past, please contact us so we can enable this course for you. Please read course requirements carefully BEFORE registering for this course. All courses are final sale.
This hybrid online combined-concepts CE course will provide innovative techniques that can be used immediately with numerous “take home” tips and pearls. Includes many demonstrations of treatment techniques and video evidence for "Treating Tendonitis in the Upper Extremity”.
Learn new techniques that can be used to treat pain conditions in the upper extremity. Includes extensive patient demonstrations to present the concepts of muscle imbalance and alignment. Focus on the agonist/antagonist muscle relationship, joint kinematics with movement as well as compensation movement patterns. Learn to recognize which muscles are “under functioning “and which are “over functioning”. Explore techniques on how to improve joint ROM, eliminate pain and sensitivity, and restore balance to the upper extremity. Joint mobilization and taping applications will clearly demonstrate muscle imbalance. Current research will be included to support these concepts.
This course content is not intended for use by any participants outside the scope of their license or regulation.
Please read course requirements carefully before registering for this course. Online courses are final sale and are not refundable.
As a requirement of this course, you will need to:
- view all recorded lectures and demonstrations prior to attending required Virtual Classroom powered by Zoom.
- complete Case Study Assignments for four patient scenarios provided by instructor prior to attending Virtual Classroom via Zoom.
- prepare a case study of one of your challenging patients that you would like to discuss during Virtual Classroom via Zoom
- participate in a scheduled 2-hour Zoom meeting with the instructor discussing case studies, taping applications, treatment techniques and Question and Answer session.
- complete post-test with a passing score of 80%.
- computer/tablet with speakers and good internet access to view course videos.
- computer/tablet with webcam, microphone and speakers or Smartphone will be needed to participate in Interactive Virtual Classroom via Zoom.
- email access for communication about the course.
By the end of this course, participants will:
- Identify 3 Movement With Motion (MWM) joint glides for a patient with shoulder tendonitis pain.
- List 2 Agonist and Antagonist muscle relationships in a patient with Elbow Tendonitis
- Independently create a treatment plan that includes 2 manual joint corrections for a patient with thumb pain
- Independently create a treatment plan including 2 taping techniques for a patient with ECU Tendonitis
- Explain how joint alignment and muscle imbalance influence a patient with finger pain
- Independently develop a treatment plan that incorporates taping, cupping, and IASTM strokes for a patient with wrist tendonitis
7.5 contact hours
(5.5 hours self-study/asynchronous learning and 2 hours interactive online/synchronous learning)
- The Shoulder -approximately 40 minutes
- The Medial Elbow-approximately 1 hour 20 minutes
- The Lateral Elbow- approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
- Wrist Tendonitis, DeQuervain's and ECU- approximately 50 minutes
- Case studies assignment to be completed before wrap-up Zoom (written assignment to submit) -approximately 30 minutes
- Resources, References and Recommended Reading (online reading) - approximately 30 minutes
- Zoom Classroom meeting to review case studies, taping lab, Research Discussion, Summary, Questions (live virtual classroom) - 2 hours
- Post-test and course evaluation (online-written) - approximately 10 minutes
BOC Level: Intermediate
7.5 hours, includes 5.5 hours of online video lectures, patient demonstrations, and assignments, plus 2-hour Interactive Virtual Classroom (Zoom) hosted by instructor. (5.5 hours asynchronous learning; 2 hours synchronous learning)
This on-demand online course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm accuracy of this list and acceptance of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits. CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CE.
Rehab Education, LLC is recognized as:
- AOTA approved provider of OT and OTA continuing education (#6177)
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the NY State Education Department Board of Physical Therapy.
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the IDFPR/ Illinois Board of Physical Therapy (#216000227).
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision (BAP202310008).
American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA): Rehab Education, LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider (#6177) of professional development. This Distance Learning-Interactive CE course is offered at 0.75 CEU (7.5 contact hours) Intermediate level | OT Service Delivery/Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition. (Course must be completed prior to 7/31/2025)
Board of Certification, Inc (BOC) Approved Provider #P8271: Rehab Education, LLC (BOC AP#: P8271) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 7.5 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
California OT Board: This course and instructor have been approved by the CA Board of OT for 7.5 contact hours of post-professional education in the advanced practice area of hand therapy. Approval #22-H24.
Physical Therapy Board of California: The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes Rehab Education, LLC as an approval agency to approve providers offering continuing competency courses for CA licensed PTs and PTAs. This course is approved for 7.5 contact hours (5.5 hours asynchronous and 2 hours synchronous).
Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy: Approved CE Sponsor by Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy, Division of Professional Regulations, Approval #216.000227. (Course must be taken prior to 09-30-2024)
Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners: This course has been approved by the Maryland State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 0.75 CEUs. Approval #2021-289. (Course must be taken between 03-03-2021 and 03-03-2025.)
NY State Physical Therapy Board: Rehab Education, LLC is recognized as an approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the NY State Education Department Board of Physical Therapy. (Course must be taken prior to 05-10-2025)
Oklahoma State Board of Physical Therapy: Rehab Education, LLC is an approved CE provider by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision. Provider #BAP202310008. (Course must be taken prior to 01-31-2024)
Alison Taylor, OTR/L, CHT, CKTI, NDT
graduated as an Occupational Therapist in 1990, from Sydney University, Australia. She has worked in and out of the United States for over 29 years and obtained her CHT in 2001. Since that time Alison has presented at 6 ASHT Conferences, multiple state ASHT and OT conferences, and special interest group meetings in GA, IL, NH, SC, TX and LA.
She became a KinesioTaping Instructor in 2011 and actively lectures throughout the USA on UE and LE taping. Alison presented at the International KinesioTaping symposium in Hawaii in 2017 on “Tennis Elbow”, and was published in the Kinesio “Advanced Healing Magazine”
Alison is a guest lecturer for the OT programs at Texas Women’s University (Denton) and LSU (Shreveport). She lectures nationally on Hand Therapy and is developing protocols for tennis elbow and radial nerve impairment. Her specialties include hands, UE sports orthopedics and tendonitis. Her background also includes neurology, geriatrics, spinal cord and acute care.
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced
Delivery Method: Online with live, interactive Zoom meeting
Who Should Attend:
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Certified Hand Therapists
- Certified Athletic Trainers
Prerequisite: Prior to attending this course, participants must complete the online hybrid course “Treating without Pain: Hand Therapy Treatment Concepts“.
A scheduled Zoom meeting is a requirement for this course. During the checkout process, you will select one of the following dates:
Monday, December 12, 2022
8pm -10pm EST
Monday, February 6, 2023
8pm -10pm EST
Saturday, April 15, 2023
11am -1pm EST
Monday, June 19, 2023
8pm -10pm EST
Monday August 21, 2023
8pm -10pm EST
Saturday, October 14, 2023
11am -1pm EST
Monday, December 11, 2023
8pm -10pm EST
What Students are Saying:
“I ended up actually liking the hybrid format because of the self study at my own pace; it seemed to help my retention, as opposed to sitting in a live course for 8 hours. Also, it was really helpful to be able to go back, rewind, and re-listen. (That is how I learned to knit on YouTube!) I think it is a really good format for adult learning. Felt really fortunate to be able to listen live and interact for the 2 hours at end. Will definitely recommend this format to other therapists.“
“This course and instructor were outstanding. I now have the tools to be able to look and listen to my patients differently, and make better decisions about contributing factors not commonly considered with a specific diagnosis.”
“Alison’s knowledge of sensory nerves and how nerve entrapments influence “orthopedic” issues is amazing and has given me tools to address and treat injuries.”
“This was a great course with a very knowledgeable instructor.”
“I really liked the course and learned so much. I am already trying some new techniques and thinking outside the box.“
“I like the online course format because we can re-watch the videos.“
“This was my first online course and I loved the format of the course and finishing up with the interactive zoom meeting. It was well organized and full of so much valuable and practical information to use with my patients.”