Neural Mobilization: Examination & Intervention Strategies
The concept of restricted neural dynamics is not new, however its impact on our Neural Mobilization patients’ daily activities and movement tolerance is often overlooked during the examination and treatment of our patients. This course covers concepts for examination and quantifying restricted neural dynamics and intervention strategies to address the dura, nerve bed, and peripheral nerves.
Included is a critical review of the most up-to-date literature in peer-reviewed journals regarding the use of neural mobilization as an examination and treatment technique. This course is appropriate for physical therapists, occupational therapists, and athletic trainers; both assessment and treatment concepts will be covered to aid in the care of their patients. This course includes laboratory sessions in which participants will practice neural mobilization and examination techniques.
Participants are encouraged to wear loose, comfortable clothing. Shorts are recommended as well as halter or swim suit tops for women in order to allow for proper practice of techniques.
Course Prerequisite: EB abstracts will be emailed to participants prior to the course.
During hands-on lab sessions, the course instructor(s) will evaluate each participant’s techniques/skills learned to determine proficiency for course completion. If 3/5 criteria are not attained the instructor will work with the attendee until all the criteria is met. Post test at end of course will be used as a tool to review answers and rationale, ensuring attendees have gained all content knowledge.
You will be required to:
• review several abstracts prior to the start of the live course. Abstracts will be emailed to you upon completion of registration.
• wear shorts and a halter top or tank top for lab sessions.
• wear comfortable clothing over lab attire, so you are not cold during lecture sessions.
• Bring a yoga mat for your personal use during lab sessions.
Upon completion of online registration, you will be emailed a course receipt. This is NOT a course confirmation. Your course confirmation will be sent separately. It is recommended that you wait for written course confirmation prior to booking non-refundable travel or lodging. If you have not received course confirmation 10 days prior to your live CE course, please contact Rehab Education, LLC to check on status of your registration.
By the end of this course, participants will:
- Identify the 3 components of the brachial plexus
- Describe 3 possible pathologies of the nervous system as covered in this course
- Identify 3 symptoms of brachial plexopathy of the upper quadrant
- Following the course and given 3 case scenarios the participant will match all appropriate testing of the UE using novel neural mobility grading scales (0-5) for biasing the Brachial Plexus, Radial, Median and Ulnar nerves
- Apply 3 basic treatment techniques based on results obtained from neural mobility testing of the upper extremity for a patient with lateral epicondylagia.
- Apply 2 basic treatment techniques based on results obtained from neural mobility of the LE with metric measurements (of the hip or knee) using: the Straight Leg Raise with biasing of the Tibial and Fibular nerves, Prone Knee bend with biasing of the Femoral and Saphenous nerves for a given case study.
- Apply the concept of structural differentiation as referenced in the literature to determine neural vs non-neural tissue movement restrictions of the UE through joint positioning, palpation and symptom behavior
- Apply the concept of structural differentiation as referenced in the literature to determine neural vs non-neural tissue movement restrictions of the LE through joint positioning, palpation and symptom behavior
- Design a comprehensive intervention plan including exercises, manual techniques and home exercises based on exam results from a given case study
Course hours for the course in Houston are:
Day 1: Saturday from 8am to 7pm
Day 2: Sunday from 8am to 2:30 pm
Sign-in begins at 7:30am both days
|7:30 - 8:00||Registration|
|8:00 - 9:00||Introduction of Topic
Anatomy and Physiology
|9:00 - 10:30||Palpation Lab|
|10:30 - 10:45||Break|
|10:45 - 12:00||Mobility Assessment Lab Part 1|
|12:00 - 12:45||Lunch|
|1:00 - 2:30||Mobility Assessment Lab Part 2|
|2:30 - 2:45||Documentation of Findings|
|2:45 - 3:00||Break|
|3:00 - 3:15||Indications for Neural Mobility Assessment|
|3:15 - 5:30||Basic Teaching Case Studies Lab/Lecture
Concepts covered: misdiagnosed conditions, structural differentiation, test modification to track outcomes. Treatment principles: flossing, tensioning
|8:00 - 8:30||Literature review|
|8:30 - 10:00||Review of examination techniques Lab|
|10:00 - 10:45||The Thoracic Outlet Syndrome|
|10:45 - 11:00||Break|
|11:00 - 11:45||Examination and Treatment Lab|
|11:45 - 12:30||Complex Case Studies and Problem Solving Lab
|12:30 - 1:30||Lunch|
|1:30 - 2:45||Complex Case Studies and Problem Solving: Lab Part 2
|2:45 - 3:00||Break|
|3:00 - 4:00||Continued- Complex Case Studies|
|4:00 - 4:15||Post-Test|
|4:15 - 4:30||Review, Q & A|
15 Contact Hours (15 clock hours)
This course content is not intended for use by any participants outside the scope of their license or regulation.
This live interactive webinar course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm accuracy of this list and acceptance of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits.
CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CEUs.
Rehab Education, LLC is recognized as:
- AOTA approved provider of OT and OTA continuing education (#6177)
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the NY State Education Department Board of Physical Therapy.
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by IDFPR/ Illinois Board of Physical Therapy (#216000227).
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision (BAP202310008).
American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA): Rehab Education, LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Provider # 6177. This live CE course is offered at 1.5 CEUs (15 clock hours) | Intermediate level | OT Service Delivery/Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition. (Course must be completed prior to 7/31/2025)
Rehab Education, LLC is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 15 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
Physical Therapy Board of California: The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes Rehab Education, LLC as an approval agency to approve providers offering continuing competency courses for CA licensed PTs and PTAs. This course is approved for 15 contact hours.
California OT Board: This course and instructor have been approved by the CA Board of OT for 7.5 contact hours of post-professional education in the advanced practice area of hand therapy. Approval #22-H29.
Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy: Approved CE Sponsor by Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy, Division of Professional Regulations, Approval #216.000227. (Course must be taken prior to 09-30-2024)
New Jersey State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners: This course has been approved by the New Jersey State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 15 CE credits. Approval #2204-132. (Course must be taken prior to 01-31-2026).
NY State Physical Therapy Board: Rehab Education, LLC is recognized as an approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the NY State Education Department Board of Physical Therapy. (Course must be taken prior to 05-10-2025)
Oklahoma State Board of Physical Therapy: Rehab Education, LLC is an approved CE provider by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision. Provider #BAP202310008. (Course must be taken prior to 01-31-2024)
Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners: This activity has been approved by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 15.00 CCUs for PTs and PTAs. Approval is valid between 9-1-2023 and 9-1-2024. Approval #76891TX
States that Accept AOTA Approval / PT State Boards’ Approval Reciprocity
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. At the time of listing, these states currently recognize AOTA Approved Providers for OT continuing education either in regulatory language or by formal written communication to AOTA. For an up-to-date list, see the AOTA website.
District of Columbia
Florida **(self-report to CE Broker)
Wisconsin (self study courses only)
*see CE Broker
**FL licensees may need to self-submit courses in CE Broker
Disclaimer: Rehab Education LLC provides this list for your convenience. At the time of listing, the following state boards accept courses by virtue of approval by other organizations. It is the responsibility of the participant registering for a course to check with their state board to confirm rules and regulations regarding acceptance of contact hours for live and online courses.
The following PT Boards accept courses approved by other PT State boards*:
District of Columbia
The following PT Boards accept courses approved by other APTA state associations*:
District of Columbia
Florida **(self-report to CE Broker)
*NBCOT…National Board for Certification of Occupational Therapy (view PDU requirements)
+HTCC… Hand Therapy Certification Commission (view recertification requirements)
Hand Therapy Certification Commission (HTCC): This course is accepted by HTCC towards re-certification.