Treating without Pain: Hand Therapy Treatment Concepts
Part One of a 2-course series. For Part Two, see: Treating Tendonitis in the Upper Extremity.
Complete these learning activities before participating in a live 2-hour Virtual Zoom Classroom:
- 5 1/2 hours of recorded lectures and demonstrations of treatment techniques
- independent IASTM lab
- case study assignment
Choose a date for your Virtual Zoom Classroom to problem solve cases, scenarios, learn taping techniques, and navigate treating your patients without pain.
Kinesio Tape® for use during the Interactive Virtual Classroom will be mailed to you. Shipping only available to US mailing addresses.
This hybrid online combined concepts course will give you new techniques that can be used immediately with numerous “take home” tips and pearls. Includes many demonstrations of treatment techniques and video evidence for the concept of "Treating without Pain".
Focus on the 4 S’s: Skin, Swelling, Scar and Sensation, as well as joint alignment and balance. Explore innovative techniques on how to improve joint ROM, eliminate pain, and eliminate compensation patterns for faster outcomes. Current research will be included to support these concepts.
This course content is not intended for use by any participants outside the scope of their license or regulation.
Please read course requirements carefully before registering for this course. Online courses are final sale and are not refundable.
As a requirement of this course, you will need to:
- have access to some KinesioTape. KinesioTape for the Zoom Interactive Classroom will be mailed to you at the mailing address that you provided during registration.
- have access to another person to practice IASTM techniques during independent lab session.
- have access to another person, if possible, during the Zoom interactive Classroom, to apply KinesioTaping applications.
- view recorded lectures and demonstrations prior to attending required Zoom Interactive Classroom.
- submit a case study about a challenging patient and be prepared to discuss during Zoom Interactive Classroom.
- participate in a scheduled 2-hour Zoom meeting with the instructor discussing case studies, taping applications, treatment techniques and Question and Answer session.
- complete post-test with a passing score of 80%.
- computer/tablet with speakers and good internet access to view course videos
- computer/tablet with webcam, microphone and speakers or Smartphone will be needed to participate in Zoom Interactive Classroom session with instructor
- email access for communication about the course.
By the end of this course, participants will:
- Identify 3 Movement With Motion (MWM) components to increase range of motion for a patient with a fractured finger.
- List 2 Agonist and Antagonist muscle relationships in a patient with Tennis Elbow
- Develop a treatment plan, including taping, cupping and IASTM strokes to enhance movement and space in a patient with a wrist fracture
- Given a patient with ECU Tendonitis, create a treatment plan including 2 appropriate taping techniques
- Identify 2 strengthening exercises to reduce pain in a patient with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
8 contact hours
(6 hours self-study/asynchronous learning and 2 hours interactive online/synchronous learning)
- Introduction to Hand Therapy Treatment Concepts (video lecture and patient demonstrations) - approximately 45 minutes
- Understanding the 4S’s: Skin, Swelling, Scar and Sensation (video lecture and patient demonstrations) - approximately 80 minutes
- Concepts of Restoring Muscle Imbalance in the UE (video lecture and patient demonstrations) - approximately 30 minutes
- Concepts of Restoring Joint Imbalance in the UE (video lecture and patient demonstrations) - approximately 80 minutes
- IASTM Tools, Cups, Wedges and More (video lecture and patient demonstrations) - approximately 90 minutes
- IASTM lab – (independent lab session) -approximately 5 minutes
- Case studies assignment to be completed before wrap-up Zoom (written assignment to submit) -approximately 20 minutes
- Resources, References and Recommended Reading (online reading) - approximately 10 minutes
- Zoom Classroom meeting to review case studies, taping lab, Research Discussion, Summary, Questions (live virtual classroom) - 2 hours
- Post-test and course evaluation (online-written) - approximately 10 minutes
BOC Level: Intermediate
8 contact hours, includes 6 hours of online video lectures, patient demonstrations, and assignments, plus 2-hour interactive Virtual Classroom (Zoom) hosted by the instructor, Alison Taylor, OTR/L, CHT, CKTI, NDTc.
This hybrid online course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm accuracy of this list and acceptance of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits. CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CE.
Rehab Education, LLC is recognized as:
- AOTA approved provider of OT and OTA continuing education (#6177)
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the NY State Education Department Board of Physical Therapy.
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by IDFPR/ Illinois Board of Physical Therapy (#216000227).
- approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision (BAP202310008).
American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA): Rehab Education, LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider (#6177) of professional development. This Blended/Hybrid Learning CE course is offered at 0.8 CEU (8 contact hours) Intermediate level | OT Service Delivery/Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition. (Course must be completed prior to 7/31/2025)
Board of Certification, Inc (BOC) Approved Provider #P8271: Rehab Education, LLC (BOC AP#: P8271) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 8 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
California OT Board: This course and instructor have been approved by the CA Board of OT for 8 contact hours of post-professional education in the advanced practice area of hand therapy. Approval #22-H26.
Physical Therapy Board of California: The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes Rehab Education, LLC as an approval agency to approve providers offering continuing competency courses for CA licensed PTs and PTAs. This course is approved for 8 contact hours (6 hours asynchronous and 2 hours synchronous).
Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy: Approved CE Sponsor by Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy, Division of Professional Regulations, Approval #216.000227. (Course must be taken prior to 09-30-2024)
Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners: This course has been approved by the Maryland State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 0.8 CEUs. Approval #2021-316. (Course must be taken between 03-08-2021 and 03-08-2025.)
NY State Physical Therapy Board: Rehab Education, LLC is recognized as an approved provider of PT and PTA continuing education by the NY State Education Department Board of Physical Therapy. (Course must be taken prior to 05-10-2025)
Oklahoma State Board of Physical Therapy: Rehab Education, LLC is an approved CE provider by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision. Provider #BAP202310008. (Course must be taken prior to 01-31-2024)
Alison Taylor, OTR/L, CHT, CKTI, NDT
graduated as an Occupational Therapist in 1990, from Sydney University, Australia. She has worked in and out of the United States for over 29 years and obtained her CHT in 2001. Since that time Alison has presented at 6 ASHT Conferences, multiple state ASHT and OT conferences, and special interest group meetings in GA, IL, NH, SC, TX and LA.
She became a KinesioTaping Instructor in 2011 and actively lectures throughout the USA on UE and LE taping. Alison presented at the International KinesioTaping symposium in Hawaii in 2017 on “Tennis Elbow”, and was published in the Kinesio “Advanced Healing Magazine”
Alison is a guest lecturer for the OT programs at Texas Women’s University (Denton) and LSU (Shreveport). She lectures nationally on Hand Therapy and is developing protocols for tennis elbow and radial nerve impairment. Her specialties include hands, UE sports orthopedics and tendonitis. Her background also includes neurology, geriatrics, spinal cord and acute care.
What Students are Saying:
“I like this format because I was able to review the concepts over when I didn’t get it the first time I heard it. Had it been live I would’ve heard it then missed it or disrupted the class to have to have the instructor repeat it. I could also review the videos again to help me remember it. So I feel like I got my money’s worth more.“
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced
Delivery Method: Online with live, interactive Zoom meeting
Who Should Attend:
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Certified Hand Therapists
- Certified Athletic Trainers
A scheduled Zoom meeting is a requirement for this course. During the checkout process, you will select one of the following dates:
Monday, November 14, 2022
8pm -10pm EST
Monday, January 23, 2023
8pm -10pm EST
Saturday, March 18, 2023
11am -1pm EST
Monday, June 19, 2023
8pm -10pm EST
Saturday, August 19, 2023
11am -1pm EST
Thinking Outside the Box
“Great ideas to think more outside the box when treating painful hands. I have already incorporated some of Alison’s techniques and they are a game changer. She is amazing in her approach and I love the effect on our clients. Everything Alison teaches helps to make me think and evaluate how I do things. She pushes me to be better and I constantly use the methods that she teaches.“
Loved the Course
“I thought Alison did a fantastic job putting this course together into an online course. She is extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic and very willing to help other therapists learn this approach to treatment. This was originally an in person course, which I think has many benefits such as being able to feel the amount of tension and direction she applies with her joint mobilizations and taping techniques for example, but the online course had just as many benefits. I really think being able to replay the treatment techniques and really watch what she is doing, helps me learn better; so having access to the videos to watch again is extremely helpful. Also, having the live online session with Alison after viewing the course was also very helpful. I like the idea of a hybrid class even for future courses.”